Saturday, October 6, 2018

YOGA AND CANCER



Yoga, an unsung warrior against cancer

With today's constant media scares, plot holes filled medical dramas and half-baked internet rumours about everything being filled with carcinogens the thought of cancer has spared no one and fills all with anxiety. Almost everyone knows someone or at least knows of someone with a story of cancer. What is more disturbing is the fact that while humans have made such incredible medical advancement, there is still no cure for cancer without what is essentially poisoning oneself with chemotherapy. How many times have we heard people say, “Only if there was a pill to prevent cancer, I would take it everyday.”

We often hear people going through a cancer scare as if the world has come to an end and there is absolutely no solution or at least preventive measure. Well, it is not as bad as we think. It’s just that our fast paced life has left us little time to get a healthy life.

Yoga as a preventive and therapeutic measure

Running, swimming, walking are definitely important and a great way to stay fit. But, think about it; you run for one hour and then get stressed out emotionally for the remaining 23 hours.

So, is there a way to help us lead a completely balanced and healthy lifestyle? Yes and that’s where yoga comes in.

Yoga helps us to insulate our body and mind from stressful situations and environments; and, the key to achieve that is through conscious breathing throughout the day. It is in our human nature to either temporarily stop breathing or breathe less during stressful situations and since we live in a world of stressful situations all around, most of the people have shallow breathing that negatively impacts our internal organs. This helps the cancerous cells in our body to overpower our immune system.

If Yoga is practiced as a lifestyle, there is no logical or scientific reason for anyone getting cancer. And, even then in the fight against cancer, Yoga is an tool. There are so many cases where people have beaten cancer with yoga.

Stories of two cancer survivors
I personally know two extraordinary women who I am proud to call my yoga students and they are living demonstrations, of the power of yoga against cancer.

Cancer Survivor: Ranjana Joshi









Ranjana Joshi , a young mother (living in Oman), was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008 when she had discovered a lump and a scar during a routine check-up. On March 19th, 2008, Ranjana rushed to India and got operated on March 21st. After the surgery, she underwent six painful cycles of chemotherapy that had made her immune system so weak and made her depressed. And, then during one particular bad month of radiation therapy, the radiation had created so much of imbalance in her hormones that even with tablets and other medication her hormones could not be stabilized and she suffered side effects such as headache, giddiness and been told by the same doctors that she was now more vulnerable to cancer in her uterus due to these side effects.

Ranjana says ”In 2008 I started with hormone therapy, after completion of chemotherapy treatments. The hormone therapy affected my uterus. Early 2010 I started yoga as therapy with Prema Nagesh and then I started feeling much better physically and emotionally.

by 2011, the doctors said I could stop taking Tamoxifin tablets for hormone therapy as my hormones were becoming balanced and after that within 2 months of regular practice of yoga my uterus size reduced from 11 cm to 8 cms and my hormones had completely stabilized and I started getting sensation back in my left armpit and also developed strength in my hand which had become weak during chemotherapy.
I had then began practicing tougher asanas like Chakrasana and Shirshasana and also increased the numbers of Suryanamaskar I did daily and then one day I finished 216 Surya namaskars without a break.”

“I was so thrilled with myself that I started to share my experience with all, especially about how my experience of doing 108 or more Suryanamskar felt like undergoing chemotherapy treatment without any side effects because so much prana (energy) was being generated in me and these cancer cells won’t survive in a body with high Prana. I was practicing pranayama (yogic breathing exercise) very regularly and never missed even a single day which boosted my emotional strength as well. I further went ahead with a teacher training course with My Teacher Prema Nagesh and I now I teach yoga and share my first hand experiences with all especially women. My teacher is very proud of me that yoga has made me evolve in to new human being with a positive attitude.”

Yoga Practice by Ranjana Joshi - Timelines


       First month
o   Standing postures
         Greeva sanchalan
         Parvatasana
         Trikonasana
         Skanda uttanasana
         Gomukhasana

o   Sitting postures :
         Marjari asana
         Ustrasana
         Shashakasana

o   Supine postures:
         Hasta Sanchalan
         Janu Sanchalan

o    Prone postures
         Sarpasana
         Niralamba  Bhujangasana


       Second month onwards

o   Standing postures
         Suryanamaskar
         Chakrasana with chair
         Benefits:it stretches the arms and armpits chest ,lower abdomen muscles and strengthens the back

o   Sitting
         Paschimuttasnasana
         Ardhmatsyendrasana
         Benefits:it stretches the low back and leads to Moola Bandha which is beneficial for uterus and lower organs

o   Supine postures
         Uttanapadasana
         Sarvanagasana
         Halasana
         Matsyasana

Benefits: Strengthens the back and core muscles and also inversion helps to increase circulation towards the core and other glands.


o   Prone postures:
         Dhanurasana
         Bhujangasana series
         Benefits: massages the lower organs and increases circulation towards chest and uterus.

o   Meditation
Meditation for self-healing ,increases the power to heal and develops optimism (placebo effect)

o   Fasting once week gives rest to the whole body for repair  process to happen and one of the best way as therapy.

Consult a dietician before you start any specific diet and  Ranjana has very bland Saatvic (vegetarian) diet always.

Remember that most of all it was her dedication, hard work and faith in Yoga which helped her fight against cancer and to maintain her health. She has followed all the asanas in sequence as instructed.

visit our youtube link on Ranjana Joshi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsBfw_SBMq4&t=115s
(Details of all the above postures are in the yogatherapy4all.com)

Cancer Survivor: Sandhya


Sandhya, a middle aged mother who lives in United States. Sandhya  was diagnosed with Leukaemia in 2013.

She says
“While living in Memphis, Tennessee, I was an active person participating in all activities at Temple and in the community. Being a teetotaller, non smoker, with no history of cancer in my family, I never thought I would face this day. I was at the local grocery store when my doctor called with his findings. I was immediately admitted to the hospital and underwent 8 cycles of intense chemotherapy. I was left fatigued with no strength and would fall often fall sick with an infection. After 8 months of treatment, I was in remission and was sent home. then after a year, my cancer had relapsed and I underwent a Bone Marrow Transplant. Before the transplant, I had underwent 11 cycles of radiation and 4 cycles of chemotherapy. 
All this treatment took a heavy toll on my body. I was weak; resigned to a wheelchair, unable to do anything on my own.

And when I thought I was recovering, I started having difficulty in breathing and had to be admitted in the ICU on a ventilator where i underwent treatment for lung infection for about a month after I went through physiotherapy and also required speech therapy and needed special services to relearn to eat and drink on my own.
This is when I was introduced to Prema Ji's Trained teacher Praveen Rodrigo (who has opened vyaniti yoga in canada) through my friend. Praveen consulted Premaji and she guided me to start simple, different breathing techniques like

       Abdominal breathing
       Chest breathing
       Anulom-Vilom / Pranayama

Initially, I could hardly do these seemingly simple for two minutes a day. My lung capacity was only 25% and was constantly under a doctor’s care. I made slow progress and increased Anuloma Viloma exercise to 15 minutes every hour. This helped me get back my lost energy.

The best feeling I ever got was during this time was when I went for a follow up and  had shocked my doctor with my improvement.  I was overjoyed to see the shock on the doctor’s face when the doctor placed the stethoscope on my chest to check my lungs. Usually, he would ask me to take a deep breath to check my lungs and the doctor knew that it hurts me to just take one long breath. But, instead I was breathing freely without pain!! The doctor was pleasantly surprised and said “I don’t care what you did. Just keep doing it.” And, that was the day when I began to truly believed in Yoga. Since then, I have increased the duration for pranayama. A great news came to me two months later when the doctor said that there is no sign of cancer in my scan after which I asked him to reduce the medication, for which the doctor reluctantly agreed. Then again, a month later, when I went for a check up I was told there was no sign of cancer.

By God's grace and Premaji’s continued support and encouragement, I now don’t have any lung issues or breathing problems anymore. After eight months of doing Anulom Viloma, Premaji guided me into doing Kapalbhaati and I will recommend Pranayama to one and all. I not only feel energetic but also feel alert and also have improved memory power. Please do yoga under a guru’s guidance and enjoy the positive changes.”

Now, Sandhya has gained the confidence that she can beat cancer. She is still under recovery and is still not completely healthy yet but with her commitment, I am sure she will return to her full strength and start applying for her old job in no time.

Pranayama is the simple exercise which makes a sick person stand up, an angry/short tempered person to melt down and a depressed person to develop an self-confidence by being positive and develop a “never give up” attitude.

Important - Pranayamas or breathing techniques which both Ranjana Joshi and Sandhya practiced are :

       Abdominal Breathing(massage the  abdominal organs and relaxes )
       Chest Breathing (improves lung capacity)
       Deep breathing (increases the oxygen absorption)
       Kapalbhatti (this Pranayama reduces the free radicals)
       Anuloma viloma(balances the both the energy level in body)
       Seetkari (reduces the heat of the body after chemo therapy)
       Bhramari (reduces the stress instantly)

I hope this message will inspire people to consider yoga as a means to fight cancer. Also, if you can lead a yogic life, you will get the opportunity to celebrate life and lead a happy, stress-free life. And, you can be confident that cancer will never knock at your door.

If you or anyone else needs guidance in yoga to fight cancer, please write to us at yogatherapy4all@gmail.com


Hari Om

46 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing yoga for joint pain, this very beneficial for human body, but we have to follow this yoga daily and use Joint Pain Oil then we get fast relief from pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We stumbled over here coming from a different web page and thought I might check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to finding out about your web page repeatedly.
    best online yoga classes free

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the structure of your site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?
    online yoga courses

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work. thanks for sharing...
    If you are looking for a virtual yoga class, we organize a virtual yoga class for the employees. In this session, we give a 7-day yoga program to the corporate remote employees to improve their physical and mental health with this virtual session.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice article.
    Yoga plays an important role in meditation and concentration. In this covid period, most companies prefer their employees to work remotely, With online yoga class session for employees, we can boost the mental health and physical health of the work-from-home employees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Article..!!! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful article. If you are interested in the teacher training course then you can check out our courses.
    100 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh
    200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh
    300 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh

    Currently, Due to the pandemic, we are offering yoga courses online 

    Online 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Course
    Online 300 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Course
    Yoga Nidra Teacher Training Online

    Visit our yoga school in Rishikesh to know more about the yoga teacher training courses

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great information, if you want to know more about yoga then you can visit our yoga school in Rishikesh and ask about the 200 hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh and for advanced 300 hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, this is a nicely explained article. Your piece was very informative. I had never heard the issue presented in that light. Thanks for your hard work.
    graphic design agency

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post, keep it up.
    Hope you are well in the current situation.
    mercury analyser
    minamata

    ReplyDelete

  11. Excellent Blog! I would like to thanks for the efforts you have made in writing this post.
    I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. This is very beneficial to me.
    I’m happy I came across this website. I still learn something new from your posts! It will give
    you a great idea about
    best yoga teacher training hk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. Looking forward to reading more. Thanks for taking the time to write this.
    aegis disaster recovery
    cloud service provider malaysia
    endpoint protection malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post is very nice.Wish to see much more like this. Thanks for sharing your information
    aesthetic clinic malaysia
    scar removal treatment malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. Your hard work is greatly appreciated. Keep it up.
    aluminium roof malaysia
    klip lok metal roof malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are a full-time VFX studio and animation studio in Delhi
    that offers 100% inhouse VFX Studios For Films, TVCs, Documentaries, Music Videos & Wedding Videos that you can trust. We offer excellent customer service and know how to help you achieve your goals. Our studios include: In House VFX Studio. We have the experience to work with your film or TV project ensuring that you get the best possible vision for your product or video. We are experts in the industry, and are available to create videos for your requirements.
    animation studio in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Accurate share market tips covering NSE, BSE and MCX. Stock market traders dealing in Indian share market can get Equity tips, future trading tips, nifty tips, options tips and commodity tips from sharetipsinfo for huge returns. Sharetipsinfo assures high returns on low investments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You don't have to deal with them but one thing you can do to help your situation is ask for help on the QuickBooks 24-hour phone number To know more about QuickBooks, contact their QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1 866-669-5068. which gives an opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the software.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You don't have to deal with them but one thing you can do to help your situation is ask for help on the QuickBooks 24-hour phone number To know more about QuickBooks, contact their QuickBooks Support Phone Number+1 888-471-2380 which gives an opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the software.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you want to know more about this software then you must read these articles or contact their customer care service at Quickbooks Suppport Phone Number +1 615-510-6154.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We provide solutions for any kind of emerging issues. We provide solutions for any emerging or existing QuickBooks related queries at our toll-free number: QuickBooks Customer Service +1 855-885-5111.

    ReplyDelete


  21. Thankyou so much for sharing such a informative blog.

    Pest in general terms, are the insects or animals that affect you and your home too. Some pests can be controlled with one application or treatment but pests like cockroaches or termites are not easy to be controlled. They need regular treatment so that they don’t enter your premises again and again. But when the pests are entering in excess then it would be the right decision to take help from the pest control Service team.

    VMSWALE is a certified company offering VMSWALE Delhi NCR for Residential and Commercial spaces. It also offers Home Sanitization Services. High-Quality Chemicals with Trained and Verified Staff with Full Satisfaction. We Sanitize each and every corner and moveable of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you are looking for contact information for QuickBooks, then be sure to give them a call at Quickbooks Customer Service +1 877-693-1115.

    ReplyDelete
  23. my name is seo.jvatec i live in Uttar Pradesh State of India Country I am a digital marketer, weliv.online if you need any help related to this then you can contact

    ReplyDelete
  24. IVF Centre In FaridabadJune 3, 2022 at 5:12 AM

    Thank you for sharing this informative post it really gives me knowledge IVF Centre In Faridabad

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice content
    The most important thing you should know about contacting the company is that they are always available at their QuickBooks Support Phone Number . If you have a question about your QuickBooks account, please contact QuickBooks Customer Service to speak with a live representative.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks a lot for giving us such a helpful information. You can also visit our website for amity university mba project report

    ReplyDelete
  27. At Ace Capital groups, we are dedicated to provide financial advise to people who wants to invest their money on good returning products. We provide Wealth Management Goldcoast.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fantastic blog! Thanks for sharing a very interesting post, I appreciate to blogger for an amazing post.
    3D Scanning Services
    3D Scanning Reverse Engineering
    Reverse Engineering Services
    Plant Engineering Services

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nicely done article and interesting information. Thanks for your hard work on such topic.
    contract negotiation malaysia
    commercial lawyer malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is most beneficial Information QuickBooks is most famous Software to managing business Account so for any support call customer at QuickBooks Customer Support Phone Number +1 773-516-5910

    ReplyDelete
  31. very Good Information thanks If you are having a problem with Quickbooks Software Then you can Call at
    Quickbooks Customer Service +1 855-729-7482

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very good blog Content !!If you're looking for help Quickbooks Help then just dial Quickbooks Customer Service+18559773297

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome blog !! If you are looking for
    Quickbooks Support you can contact us at +1 855-675-3194

    ReplyDelete
  34. very Good Information thanks ..............live score

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, suzuki gixxer

    ReplyDelete
  36. Stay ahead of the curve and dominate your industry by making informed decisions that propel your business to the forefront of market leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  37. very good information ! If you have any problems regarding your QuickBooks Software then you need to call at QuickBooks customer support +17755223772 and get quick solutions for QuickBooks errors

    ReplyDelete
  38. very wonderful blog !! 'keep sharing with us please more visit
    Quickbooks customer Service (615) 523-1036

    ReplyDelete